Thursday 25 September 2014

Keep Calm & Carry On


It's true..I try my hardest to stay calm...but alas...anxiety has me in a pretty tight head lock. We sometimes wrestle like a couple of pals! I win every now and then, but this sassy mistress gets the upper hand and brings me to my knees. Such a bitch. 

When i feel like my anxiety is about to take over I have to keep my mind active. Trick it into thinking we are ok...we aren't about to have a heart attack. We're havin' a good time! Livin' life! And so on...

So i have a list...a brilliant list of 'How to calm yourself down!'
These sweet little things help me when i am at my worst. They keep me on the sane train! 
Let get down to business!

1. Walking 
I LOVE a good old walk! My Dad, Sister and I just moved house, so we have a whole new walking world ahead of us! I love exploring new places. I love nature, and I love walking. I just love it! WALKING! My Dad knows that when i am getting upset and anxious that all i need sometimes is walkies! I run to the door and wait for dad to grab my lead!? Just kidding ;) I can walk by myself without a lead.
When I am out in the fresh air i feel better. I take deep breaths and focus on the trees, birds, and everything else around me. I could walk for hours. Sometimes i have to force myself out, but once i am outside i feel tonnes better. 

2. Baking
This. THIS! I love baking. In our old house, our oven was shocking so for a short while baking stressed me out. Which made me sad. Now we have a fabulous new oven, which bakes like a champ! With baking you are so focused on ingredients and measurements that you have to force out any other thoughts. And once everything is baked, you will have a tasty treat! Win/win situation if you ask me! 


3. Watching TV
Putting on a funny film can sometimes help. When my Ruffies passed away, Faye, my sister put on 'Step Brothers' & 'Pineapple Express' on for us to watch whilst i tried to sleep. That really helped settle me. DON'T watch anything too screamy! Like 'War of The Worlds'...i watched that on a plane once...yeah...a plane...watching a movie on a PLANE where you see other PLANES falling out of the sky is an awful idea. Plus that little girl screams like 90% of the film and it panicked me! Stick to funny films/shows...OR David Attenborough...because he is wonderful and can do no wrong. 

4. Games
I am a big fan of pc/xbox games. The Sims is one of my biggest weakness. If i am feeling sad or anxious, i will just stick on the Sims and make huge houses, make a skinny, beautiful me and the world is all right again. Halo is also a big old help...becoming The Master Chief and kicking The Floods ass makes me forget about my woes and concentrate on not dying all the time. I truly am awful, but its the effort that counts.

5. Pinterest
Pinterest is brilliant. I am pretty good at pinning. If you don't know what Pinterest is...look it up! I will pin for hours on end. I am concentrating on finding cool ideas, Disney pictures. bird pictures, baking tips and funny pictures to even think about anxiety! I have so many boards and pins its outrageous. I may add it to my CV...'Good at Pinterest' 


6. Colouring Books 
My Aunty Mary once told me that when i am feeling anxious, i should start colouring. At first i thought it wouldn't work, and felt a little silly buying pens and children's colouring books...But it really does work! You are keeping your mind busy and focused on colouring in pictures, your anxiety just goes away! I love it! Tiger in Woking does adult colouring books, they are awesome. So give that a try for sure. Who doesn't love colouring!?

7. Baths 
A nice hot, bubble bath with a book or just in silence is brilliant. I do this when i feel myself start to feel a little edgy and need to relax myself. It helps you with your breathing too with the steam, and you are getting clean! 2 birds, 1 stone! Good stuff. 

I asked one of my sweet friends what calms her down when she is feeling anxious as well. One of her calming things to do is to listen to ocean noises whilst having a lay down. She has an app on her phone called 'sealife sounds' which she downloaded for free. I found one called 'Nature Sounds Relax & Sleep' to download on to my android, so i shall give it a go tonight and see if it helps me sleep! 

If you have any other calming techniques, i would love to hear them and give them a go too! Always looking for new ways to relax myself. 
I hope my list is somewhat helpful! 

Positives from my week - 
* Had a La Di Da Cupcake lunch date with lovely Meggy <3 
* My David Attenborough DVD i ordered came today...waiting for one more!? Eeee! 

Lots of Love 
Kara 
<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment